Participants in programmes led by Dr Caroline Horwath (PhD Dept of Community Medicine, University of Adelaide, 1987) have experienced statistically significant reductions in
- Medical symptoms (on average, 60% reductions over a 10-week programme; for example reductions in tiredness, insomnia, headaches, pain)
- Anxiety, depression, stress. (on average 70% reductions in psychological distress over a 10-week programme),
and statistically significant and sustained improvements in
- Lifestyle habits (nutrition & physical activity)
- Stress management behaviours
- Empowerment (a greater sense of control over one's health & one's life)
Improvements have been achieved at the completion of a 10-week programme.
For those outcomes studied at 2 years, benefits have also been found to be maintained 2 years after the 10-week programme.