Mind-body Wellbeing Programmes enable you to develop a variety of skills to produce the 'Relaxation Response' (ie reduce your heart rate, rate of breathing & blood pressure; change your brainwaves to slower patterns associated with deep rest; improve immune function). This is the physiological opposite of the body's 'stress response', & enhances physical and psychological wellbeing.
Programmes are based on the Harvard 'Medical Symptom Reduction Programme'. Conditions treated by the Harvard programme include: asthma, headaches, insomnia, tinnitus, pain, anxiety, allergies, skin conditions, depression, irritable bowel syndrome & other gastrointestinal disorders, heart disease, arthritis & hypertension.
Elements of the 10-week Programme:
- The mind-body model of health
- 'Relaxation response' skills
- Meditation and Mindfulness
- Developing more positive patterns of thinking
- Coping techniques
- Nutrition and physical activity for lifelong vitality & health
- Yoga and exercise activities with Jane Gillespie
Programmes involve small groups, and include programme guidebook & 3CDs. Programmes are held at the Heart Foundation, 97 Frederick St, Dunedin.
Dr Caroline Horwath PhD
Caroline combines a holistic mind-body approach with a rigorous scientific background in facilitating healthy lifestyle change. She integrates the science and art of enhancing wellbeing.
- 25 years research experience in nutrition, ageing and healthy lifestyle change.
- Training in Mind-body Medicine, Harvard Medical School, USA
- PhD in Nutrition, Dept of Community Medicine, Adelaide University, Australia
- author of 10 book chapters and over 50 articles in peer-reviewed international journals on nutrition, ageing and health behaviour change
- 10 years experience with a range of mind-body approaches to health promotion
- Senior Lecturer in Human Nutrition at Otago University.
Copyright © 2010 Dr Caroline Horwath
- << Prev